Week 6 Tuhononga Day - Judo
I have labelled this Key Competencies because judo is about self discipline, managing self and co operating with a partner.
I had 31 students in the group from Year 2 to Year 6. Johan Boshoff took the group as the coach and I assisted, with Tracey Clarke helping to manage the students. There were a small group of Year 2 and 3 boys who struggled initially with the self management aspect as they were playing around rather than listening and needed considerable re direction to get them focussed. However this was achieved quickly once I had seen whothey were messing around with and separated them, and as they were active for most of the time and only had minimal periods where they were required to sit and listen or watch, they were able to achieve the techniques. Freddie became my new best friend!
Week 7 Oracy
Reflections during Team Meetings on reading we were given to read on Oracy and Oral Language in the classroom.
Week 7 Term 2
I found the reading very interesting.
The breakdown of the types of listening - informational, critical
or evaluative, appreciative and empathetic differentiate in a way I hadn't
really considered before. Similarly, the type of talking - Exploratory,
Presentational and Conversational. Makes sense now that I have an
awareness of the types.
Facilitating classroom talk - I use the
talk moves from math and across the curriculum. I have a hands down
classroom and students know they are expected to do the thinking and to have a
contribution if they are asked to share. I use wait time and have been
working on extending the length of this to give more time for thoughts to be
processed. There is still very much a girl-boy division in the room
with choosing a buddy to talk to or work with. Unless I intentionally
make them choose a buddy of the opposite gender, or do the names out of the hat
sorting they will always stay within the same gender buddy. This is an area to
work on.
Recently I have started having students
who have wanted to read a section from our class book have the opportunity to.
The class have responded respectfully and there is always a volunteer wanting
to read. I am aware of keeping mat time to a maximum of 10 minutes at any
one time so listening is active and directed. We do sharing back of thinking -
with the focus being not on having a correct answer but on using subject
specific language and academic language as opposed to conversational language.
In writing we have been exploring the difference between informal writing e.g
journal and diary writing, and more formal writing i.e an information
report, and have taken this into modelling these types of language when
responding to each other. Negotiating and the way we talk to each
other has been a focus as well as we have been learning and working with the
differences between a social conversation and a learning conversation.
I see oral language as being the basis
of everything. It has been particularly noticeable with Yunseo that there
is so much she hasn't understood and cannot participate in as she doesn't have
the language to explain or to understand.
Week 8 Term 2
Listening to the language of the classroom. What interactions are
the students having with each other? Social or learning conversation? Are there
supportive words, or put down words being used? Are students responding
to each other? Who is doing the talking most?
This week the students have been very engaged on their Imaginary
Land 3D maps. This has meant working in their group which was self selected so
mostly based on friendship. The conversations have predominantly been
learning - discussing what to do next, dividing up jobs, time management with
an encourager usually apparent just naturally in each group, and using the 3D
math language when deciding which shapes to use. One group had a team
member away who would normally dominate. I wondered how this student would fit
back in - he tried to dominate the other 2 verbally but they were too far
through the project and although a little disparaging in his comments about
their efforts, got on and helped them. Very little talking from me this
week, very much student to student and student to teacher talk. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment