https://edsource.org/2017/for-teachers-its-not-just-what-you-say-its-how-you-say-it
This article was all about creating a classroom environment where students feel okay to speak up, even when they are not sure of an idea, and where they are given a chance to explain themselves. From the perspective though of the way a teacher responds with their voice.
It talks about the theatrics of teaching, where altering the tone of your voice and being aware of the way your voice is coming across to the students can have a powerful impact.
Varying tone and volume depending on what effect is required, just like in a play, expression and inflection keeps the audience - the students - alert, responsive and interested in what is being said.
Last year I used
Wha, toru, rua, tahi (Four, three, two, one) as the signal that I wanted the class to stop and listen to me. The students responded with
Whakaronga taku mahi. (I'm listening)
The students responded and looked at me as they said it. Any students that didn't, I could call by name and repeat for them.
I am going to use this again this year. I'm making a commitment to incorporate as much Te Reo as I can from what I learnt from Lani last year into the classroom talk. And build in an awareness of my tone - take it further too into the way the students talk to each other - the tone they use and the way that a message can be delivered in a different way depending on how it is said. (Term 1 Oral Language)
No comments:
Post a Comment